Cumnock Cookbook no 2!

There is a market for another cookbook.  

I asked Joanne in Kentucky (Mary Dalgliesh's cousin)who tested recipes for us before and she replied: I would love to see cakes for special Scottish holidays or traditions.  Anything that all of you (Scots) would identify with  something special. Count me in if you need testers.  I would love to help.

We need to think of an historical angle too. Maybe Cumnock town centre shops or just old photos with some info.

Plus more Scots words words and phrases. I'll add a separate post to list any that occur to us.


Comment from Elaine….Just some ideas for you to mull over and bat around.

It occurred to me that my kids don’t know how I made some of the stuff I fed them for the last 40 years!!!
- things like chicken pie, moussaka, Yorkshire puddings, sausage pasta with fennel and chilli…so rather than what we think of as old recipes, what about what our kids think of as old?
What about a cookbook of vintage up to present day, same cover only a different colour background.
Keep the theme of old shops against new as in the photo shops project?
I think what I am saying is not to be constrained by putting recipes in that are old - just really tasty and reliable, reflecting what great food you can get in Scotland.
Loved that comment from Robert when he first came across lasagne on a pub blackboard menu - ‘It’s Mince!’





here is index to original cookbook

About Cumnock History Group 

Acknowledgements 

Names of ingredients 

Measurements 

Star bakers of the past - no. 1 

Oven Scones 

Some staples 

Treacle (oven) Scones 

 Using a girdle 

Tattie Scones 

Girdle Scones  

Pancakes or Drop Scones 

Oatcakes 

Skirlie 

Star bakers of the past - no. 2 

Ina’s Ginger Biscuits 

Dookie Biscuits 

Egg Sponge 

Star bakers of the past - no. 3 

 Lemon Loaf 

Fruit Loaf 2

Gingerbread 

Holidays 

Rock Buns 

Threshing or big mill day

Piece break in the fields 

Boston Cream
Ice Cream
Porridge
Clootie Dumpling
Rae’s Shortbread Shortbread
Clipping time
Rice Pudding
Currant Cake - Fly Cemetery 

Scotch Broth

Lentil Soup
Meat Loaf with Mint Chutney 

Mince and Tatties
Cheese Pudding
Stovies
Cranachan
Cumnock Tart
Chocolate Cherry Bars 

Chocolate Cake

Swiss Tablet
Gundy
Hot Toddy
Fruit Crumble
Butter Sponge
Dark Fruit Cake




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rock Buns

Lemon loaf

Egg sponge