DOOKIES

                                                                     DOOKIES



Fresh out of the oven today. When I got married 53 years ago my late mother-in-law gave me this recipe. I think it was part of the marriage contract. I made them regularly since then until recently when my husband took up the banner. These were made by him.

Ingredients:

4 oz margarine (Echo) - Stork is fine 
12 oz  self-raising flour
6 oz sugar
2 dessert spoonfuls of syrup
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons of ground ginger
A pinch of salt.

Method:
Melt margarine, sugar and syrup in a pot. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and salt together and gradually add to the melted mixture. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Roll mixture into balls and flatten onto the tray. Bake for 15 minutes in a moderate oven. The dookies should be hard after they cool but if you find they’re still a bit soft put them back in the oven for another 5 minutes.

Once they’re cool they’re ready to ‘dook’ into your tea or coffee. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rock Buns

Lemon loaf

Egg sponge