Gingerbread

From Edith Stevenson



Recipe Tested by Elaine Corbett who reports

I baked this in a 21cm square baking tin, oven 150 (fan) for one hour and twenty minutes.  The sugar I used was soft brown, as I wasn’t sure what Edith means by “moist”. The fruit, ginger, and cut peel have a tendency to fall to the bottom, but it does not suffer for that. I think that was because I used the full quantity of milk, and two eggs - note how Edith says one or two eggs and half a teacup or less of milk. Try it. The flavours are fabulous.

 







Gingerbread
1/2 lb flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (Bicarbonate of soda)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
A little of any other spice may be added
A little chopped preserved ginger and cut peel, and sultanas may be added if liked
1/4 lb margerine
3 oz treacle
3 oz sugar (moist)
1/2 a teacup of milk or less
1 or 2 eggs

Method
Heat treacle, sugar and marg in a pan over a low heat until melted. Add milk and bring to almost boiling point. Leave to cool slightly while you prepare the dry ingredients in a bowl. Beat up the eggs. Pour hot mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until smooth. Add beaten eggs and combine.
Bake in a lined tin for 1 1/2 hours in a slow oven 300 degrees, (150 C)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rock Buns

Lemon loaf

Egg sponge